Frequently asked questions

Here you will find answers to frequently asked questions about Canada Economic Development for Quebec Regions (CED). If you still can’t find what you are looking for, or if you have a comment, please send us a request for information.

Programs and services offered

Q. I am looking for information on programs and funding I may be eligible for.

A. If you run a small or medium-sized enterprise (SME) or a non-profit organization (NPO), it may qualify for one of CED’s programs. For quick access to information on the action priorities, programs and services offered in your region, select your administrative region and contact and advisor from the business office of your region.

If your organization is a retail trade enterprise, it is not eligible for our programs. However, we suggest you consult our network of partners who may be able to help you.

Q. I live in a region. Who would I contact to discuss my business project?

A. You have several options. You can contact:

  • one of our business offices throughout Quebec and, more specifically, the business office in your region
  • one of the support organizations located in your region:
    • a CFDC (Community Futures Development Corporation, known locally as a SADC, Société d’aide au développement des collectivités)
    • a CAE

Q. How can I find out if my project is eligible?

A. To be eligible, your project must align with the priorities of the business office that receives the application for assistance. Other terms may also apply based on the region’s socio-economic context and the budget allocated to the business office’s programs.

For further details, select your administrative region and read about the regional priorities of the business office who can assist you.

Q. How do I submit my project?

A. To learn out the steps for preparing a project that may lead to submitting a financial assistance application, read the project submission guide.

Types of financial assistance

Q. What types of financial assistance does CED provide?

A. Depending on the type of project, CED may award a repayable contribution, a non-repayable contribution or a grant.

A repayable contribution is usually paid to an eligible recipient for carrying out a project that involves commercial activities. This type of contribution is, for all practical purposes, equivalent to an interest-free, unsecured loan that is repayable on a predetermined repayment schedule.

A non-repayable contribution is usually paid to an eligible NPO where the activities generated by the project are not commercial, do not provide it with any direct, quantifiable benefit and are not subject to an agreement with another business for marketing a product, service or process.

A grant is usually paid to a NPO for a one-time activity. This type of non-repayable financial assistance is awarded in exceptional situations.

Carreer opportunities at CED

Q. How can I apply for a job with CED?

A. To join our dynamic and active organization, explore CED employment opportunities on the Government of Canada job website.

Q. I am looking for the contact information of someone who works at the Agency.

A. The contact information of CED employees can be found at Government Electronic Directory Services (GEDS), a directory of all federal public servants across Canada.


Q. Where can I find information on a CED publication?

A. Available in electronic versions, the publications produced or distributed by CED are listed in the Publications section.

Technical questions

Q. Who should I notify about broken links or to obtain permission to use documents found on your Web site?

A. If you have a question or comment about our Web site or its contents, send an e-mail to . Please indicate the URL (Web address) of the page on which you found the error, where applicable.

Q. How to convert a CSV files?

A. Reports can be downloaded as text files in CSV format and opened with a spreadsheet program like Microsoft Excel. Here are a few easy instructions on how to open these files in Excel.

  • Open the CSV file using Excel.
  • To convert your file, select the first data column (column A).
  • Go to the “Data” menu and click “Text to Columns”.
  • When the dialogue box opens, choose “Delimited”and then “Next”.
  • In the list of delimiters, choose “Comma” and then “Next”.
  • Leave default options as they are and click “Finish”.
  • To complete the conversion, save as an Excel file by choosing the .xsl extension from the pull-down menu.

Q. I would like to obtain a list of your suppliers of goods and services. Is this possible?

A. On March 23, 2004, the Government of Canada announced a new policy on the mandatory publication of contracts over $10,000. CED has since provided information, updated every three months, on its contracts.

Q. How can I obtain a contract for goods and services with CED?

A. Public Works and Government Services Canada (PWGSC) is the Government of Canada’s main purchasing arm. To find out how to do business with the Government of Canada, for instance to obtain a contract with the Agency, go to PWGSC site’s Tenders on buy and sell section.

Q. CED offers and encourages its suppliers to register for the direct deposit. How to obtain more info?

R. You can consult the Direct deposit for supplier’s page or the Web site of the Receiver General for Canada.

Q. How can I obtain CED’s logo?

A. Use of CED’s signature or the "Canada" wordmark is subject to Federal Identity Program (FIP) standards. For more information, consult the page Corporate identity and logos.

Date modified: